If one were to take a tour of our modern facilities, the assumption would be that KUMC is a relatively new church. However, our congregation has been in existence for over 135 years and has been a Christian presence since 1877 when eleven men and fifteen women began meeting in the upstairs of a Kennesaw store building.
The original site of the church is downtown on Cherokee Street on land that once belonged to the Carrie family. The building still stands on that site which was KUMC’s home for over 100 years.
Our present sanctuary on Ben King Road was finished in 1981 with the Christian Activities Center (CAC) completed and consecrated in 1991. In 2012, the latest addition was completed which includes additional classrooms and a youth wing, an enlargement of the narthex, and a beautiful prayer tower to welcome our members and visitors. Three phases still remain in our long term plans to meet the needs of our church and community.
Our long history has seen many changes and transitions in facilities, members and leadership. However, certain important characteristics have remained constant: our desire to spread the word of God, our attempts to act as the hands and feet of Christ as we serve our neighbors, our love of God and each other, and our desire to continue to grown in Christ as individuals and as a congregation. KUMC has always been an exciting place to be!